Saturday, January 15, 2011

Getting to Know Them - Adopted

It is almost impossible for you to get to know a dog through just words and pictures.  We try our best to let you know the good, the bad, the wonderful and the ugly but you really won't know how you are going to click, until you actually meet the dog.


I tend to meet the dogs for about 15 minutes while I take pictures and I rely on that brief time, along with lots of input from the foster homes, for the information that I pass on to all of you through the blog and website.  But it isn't the same as spending quality time together.


I'm looking after Lily this weekend. I'm not sure if she's come a really long way since I last met her a few weeks ago, if I didn't get a good grasp of her personality when I met with her, or a combination of the two.  While I thought she was a great dog and a fun dog when I met her, I think she is even more wonderful now that I've spent more time with her.



She is AMAZING in the house.  She is calm, snuggly and affectionate.  She likes to be near you and will occasionally be a little pushy (i.e. nudges you) for attention, but for the most part she either chews quietly on a bone, or entertains herself with a toy.  (She is always ready for a game of fetch though.) She makes it almost impossible to tie up your shoes as all she wants to do is give you kisses as you lean over.  She listens well, is respectful of all the other animals in the house (including the cat) and doesn't bark much (if at all!).


We took her on an off leash walk this morning. Wow! Can this girl run.  She was flying out there but she didn't once worry me that we had taken her off leash.  She came when we called - even when there was another dog and person around.


She had a tonne of fun playing fetch.  She ran out as fast as she could and came running back almost as fast, so that you could throw it again.  The cold didn't bother her, because she was too busy moving around.


Now that we are back in the house, she is calm, quiet and content.  She hasn't been bothered by noises and she hasn't acted weird or shy around my husband and I.  In short, she has been a really well adjusted dog.  I never would have guessed that less than a month ago, this girl didn't know what to do with herself inside a house. Dog's are amazing at adapting.


If you'd like to get to know Lily a little better, please contact the Windy City Canine Rescue at info@windycityrescue.com or by calling 403-359-3139.


_____________________________________________

Our adoption fee allows us to provide the basics for the dogs in our care, but we are always encountering additional expenses (dental work, medicine for illnesses, etc.).  If you would like to help dogs like this one, but aren't looking to adopt one at this time, please consider a donation.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Lily!! She looks so darn happy out there with Coulee!! She is a TRULY amazing girl! Great pictures W! :)

    ReplyDelete